Thursday, April 12, 2007

So you had a sad day?

In 1996, I was a freshman at North Greenville University. One night I was sleeping soundly when something woke me up very quickly. As I sat up, I realized that water had been dumped on my by Jason Patterson and Bryan Lark. This was my introduction to these guys. We have since become the best of friends (and I am not sure how that happened).

Today I drove to SC to attend the funeral of Jason's dad. Robert, or Big R (what most people called him), was an incredible man. It was awesome to see how he had impacted the lives of so many. It was one of the saddest funerals that I have ever attended. Cancer cut short the life of a man that was the 'real deal'. He was a model of integrity, godliness, and love for people.

Here are a couple of thoughts that ran through my head while I sat there:

1. Big R's death has really caused me to think about my family. He was basically the same age as my parents. It seems way too early in life for my friends' parents to be dying.

2. I want my kids to be able to stand and say the kind of things that Jason said about his dad.

3. I want to live in such a way that people will agree with the thing that are said on stage about my life. I don't want some guy to have to make up some stuff!

4. I love guys like Big R. They are serve and love in a very unselfish way. He allowed God to use him in an incredible way to make a difference in the lives of so many....including mine!

I know that this was a morbid post, but it is what is on my mind!

No comments: