Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Show me the mammon?

As I was driving yesterday, I saw a church sign that said, " Choose : God or Mammon, Matt. 6:24". I consider myself to be at least a little knowledgeable about the Bible and I had never heard the word "mammon". Come to find out it means "riches or greed". I am sure that people were stopping in by the truckloads to admit they didn't want to choose mammon.

I have no idea why in the world you would put such a thing on your sign. I thought the purpose was that people might be able to read and understand it. We live in a strange, strange world! Oftentimes, it seems that the Christian people are the strangest of them all!!

In other non-related news, I saw this video in my office today with Jesse, David, and Kelsianne. I laughed so hard at the guy in the middle. (Give it a few seconds...it's worth it!) I certainly didn't know that a human could make such sounds!

1 comment:

Chris Mc said...

Maybe because I was saved at an early age, but I remember hearing that term when I was young,. Just about everyone used the King James Version when I was little. It wasn't until I was about 17 - 18, that I remember any other versions out, like the NIV, NASB, etc.
But probably the only reason I knew what it meant was because I grew up in church, hearing it. Had I grown up, not in church, I may not have known what it meant. So, I can see your point about putting words on the marquee that the lost world would understand too.