Monday, February 19, 2007

That's Not Real...

Here's a great post that I just read by Craig Groeschel. Enjoy!

There’s a HUGE difference between these two phrases:

“That’s not real…” and “I don’t understand…”

People in the church world occasionally confuse the two. Whenever God does something new, many people often say, “It’s not real…”

“That’s not real worship.”
“They aren’t real Christians.”
“That’s not real community.”
“That’s not a real outreach.”
“He’s not a real pastor.”
“What they’re doing is stupid. That’s not real ministry.”
For example, I don’t understand how some twenty year olds relate.

I don’t have a myspace account (although I hear that myspace is on the way out).
I find it easier to talk on the phone than text.
I don’t know much about Second Life.
I don’t have a tattoo to show you.
I don’t hang out at Starbucks.
I’ve never played Halo.
I have deep relationships, but not the way many twenty year olds do. I can say: “They don’t have real community.” Or I can say: “I don’t understand.” If I admit that I don’t understand, maybe with some effort, I might learn something.

In the church world, too many Christians prematurely write off new ways of doing ministry with the phrase: ‘That’s not real…” Instead, maybe we should admit it’s something we don’t understand.

Maybe I’ll see you at Starbucks and show you my new stick-on tattoo.

No comments: