Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I think I hear Michael W. Smith singing...

While I was a teenager, I spent much of my weekends and Wed. nights hanging out with my church's "youth group". (By the way, I hate those words! At Crosspointe, we don't have a youth group, we have a student ministry. Our students are out in the culture engaging their friends and encouraging them to turn to Christ. They are doing ministry. They are not just a part of some little group.) Ok, sorry about the rant.

I can remember several occasions when people did move away. It was always a sad time. The thing I remember most was that in every one of those situations, the song "Friends are Friends Forever" was played. As I result, I now have a phobia of ever hearing that song.

This Sunday will be Jeff Bumgardner's (www.jeffbumgardner.blogspot.com) last Sunday here at Crosspointe. I have mixed emotions about he and his family moving to California. I am really excited for them because God has called them to a great church and I know that God is going to use them in a tremendous way! I am sad because they are some of our greatest friends and we will miss them dearly. It will be really sad to see them go! However, I do believe that it is God's plan! Want to know how I know? I have been a huge Dodgers fan for years and I desperately want to go to Dodger Stadium for a game. Jeff will be really close! Who says God isn't at work? LOL!

So Jeff, it the words of a cheesy 80's Christian artist..."Though it's hard to let you go. In the Father's hands we know, that a lifetime's not too long to live as friends."

Sniff...Sniff...Does anyone have some kleenex?

1 comment:

Jeff Bumgardner said...

What a pansy. And yes, I do remember that song very well. It was overused, to say the least. We are going to miss you and Joni terribly...but, if you are crashing our pad often enough to watch those dreaded Dodgers, then I'm sure we'll see you some...not to mention those UFC fights. Who knows, with enough exposure, I might even become a Dodger fan (but they'd have to be my second team behind - The Braves!)