Monday, October 23, 2006

Resources...

From time to time, I will have people ask me about what I am reading and some help in selecting something to read. I have just read 3 pretty good books that were all totally different. All of them were written by pastors of churches that are getting it done. I love to read! Music and books are my addiction!! Here are a few suggestions for you:

1. The Connecting Church by Randy Frazee. This book helps the reader to move from beyond small groups to authentic community. He has some creative ideas about how to reach your neighborhood and community. I certainly agree with this quote, "The future of the church depends on whether it develops true community. Unless we sense that we belong to each other, with masks off, the vibrant church of today will become the powerless church of tomorrow." It is a great read for anyone and everyone who cares about a true sense of community.

2. The Church of Irresistible Influence by Robert Lewis. This book helps us to understand that is necessary for the church to build bridges into the community. Lewis calls out the church by declaring that today's church exists solely for itself. It is only concerned with routines, facilities, and filling buildings for performances. Few churches are building bridges where they matter most, in the community. This has led to the irrelevance of today's church in society.

3. 7 Practices of Effective Ministry by Andy Stanley. This book was my favorite of the three. This book calls for a simpler, more effective approach to ministry. Some of the ideas are things that are contrary to things I have been taught all my life. However, they make sense and will help us to be more effective in reaching our communities. I would recommend that everyone pick up this book and take to heart its principles!

These are just a couple of things that have challenged the way that I view ministry and reaching people. They were a huge help to me and will be to you also. Check them out! (I even made life easy for you. If you click on the book title, it will take you to Amazon, where you can order the book.)

No comments: