Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Lesson Learned...

When I was a kid, I remember being somewhat a Miami Hurricanes fan. Clemson wasn't that great and Miami had a great run of winning National Championships in the 80's. Therefore, they were the other team that I pulled for. My feelings have changed since the Canes have moved into the ACC. I still want them to win, but only when it helps Clemson.

One subject that has been much talked about lately has been the fight with FIU. First of all, it was just a fight. It happens all of the time in sports. People just need to get over it!

Secondly, I really liked what Donna Shalala, the President of the University of Miami had to say. "This university will be firm and punish people who do bad things," Shalala said. "But we will not throw any student under the bus for instant restoration of our image or our reputation. I will not hang them in a public square. I will not eliminate their participation at the university. I will not take away their scholarships."

Unfortunately, Christian people seem to react in a way that is contrary to the way Jesus would have reacted. We are quick to pass judgement and condemn people. Why not try to help them through the situation? Why not stick with them to the end? It is easier for us to write someone off than to walk through the fire with them! It seems that a public university understand the importance of this concept.

All around us, there are people that do not know Christ! There is 0% chance they are going to Heaven because they do not know Jesus. I believe that it is time for the Christians and the church (as a whole) to stop turning their backs on those people. Last time I checked, Jesus was all about being in the places where the "sinners" were. I don't know about you, but I am committed to not throw anyone "under the bus". I want to see them come to know Jesus and have an intimate relationship with Him.

No comments: