Friday, November 03, 2006

Blue Like Jazz...

I just finished reading one of the most popular books of our day, Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. I can't believe that it has taken me this long to pick it up and digest it. Prior to reading it, I had heard different opinions about the book. I try to read all kinds of books, especially those that might challenge what I believe or stretch me a little.

I found the book to be boring in the beginning and end. The middle was really good. Not one of those that I will probably read over and over. However, it was certainly worth the time! Miller has an interesting perspectives on God, relationships, and ministry.

One of the things that I loved(there were many) was a statement that he made about helping other countries meet their physical needs, specifically hunger. Here it is: "Nothing is going to change in the Congo until you and I figure out what is wrong with the person in the mirror."

Related to that, I am reading Philippians and it is rocking my world!!!

Has there ever been a truer statement? How can we worry about "fixing" the world until we take the necessary steps to fix the things in our own lives. Church, we can't expect to see the world turn to God because of the poor representation that we are of Him. I include myself in this category! You know the thing that God has been telling you to do over and over? Do it! You know the sin that God has spoken to you about over and over? Get rid of it!

I am a big fan of 80's Michael Jackson(Yeah, yeah, I know!). I think Mr. Jackson had it right (for once) when he sang: "I'm looking at the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. No message could have been any clearer. If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at your self and make a chaaaange. Wooooo. Wooooo. Nah nah nah na na."

1 comment:

Jeff Bumgardner said...

That is hilarious. Great point only to be supported even further by the late great Michael Jackson (the new Michael is not the same). At the beginning of the blog I had already decided I was going to write out the lyrics here....but you beat me to it. Woo Hoo....shamone