Friday, November 24, 2006

Family...

I wanted to develop an idea that I briefly mentioned in my last post. I have decided to be intentional about the one-on-one time that I spend with each member of my family. I have come to realize that we can constantly say, "I'll do something with them next week or sometime later." Eventually, you look back and you have wasted precious days, months, and (sadly) even years.

In my opinion, I have done a pretty good job of making sure that I spend time with my wife, just the two of us, on a regular basis. Sometimes this time consists of dinner, sometimes dinner and a movie, sometimes shopping, etc. It is important for my kids to know that their mother is my first love and priority (after Jesus, of course).

I have also done an ok job hanging out with Anniston. As I said before, I usually take the late feeding shift. This consists of she and I hanging out after everyone else is sound asleep. It happens the same every night: I feed her and we both fall asleep with her on my shoulder. (All the ladies say, "Awwwwwww..") We wake up an hour or more later and go to bed.

The area that I need more improvement is hanging out with Brayden. I don't feel that I am horrible in this area, but I recognize the need for more time with him. I have committed to him and Joni that I will do something with him every weekend.

Why? Because my family means more to me than my ministry, my job, my church, and many other things. I love them more than life and desire not to put anything ahead of them. Here's my question to you...how is your relationship with your family? What are some changes you could make to strengthen those relationships?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being an awesome example of a godly man, husband and father! Keep it up !!
Karen C.