Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Things I learned while gnawing on a chicken mcnugget...


This past weekend, in a 24 hour period, I was able to spend some one-on-one time with my 3 favorite people in the world. Joni and I went on a date Saturday night. Anniston and I usually hang out together while everyone else goes to bed, since I take the late feeding shift. And Brayden and I went to visit ole' Ronnie. I know what you are thinking, but not Jack Ronald. Ronald McDonald. While I was there, I observed a few things that I would like to share with you. These things are not only true about Mickey D's, but also the church.

1. Parents will go wherever the kid wants to go. It was packed out when we arrived there. I drove around the building 3 times before I could even find a parking place. I decided to go in because I knew that it would be a fun environment for Brayden and I to hang out in. I don't know of many places that I would wait to find a parking space. I don't know of many places that I would wait in such a long line. I stayed because of Brayden.

2. Kids bring energy. It was so fun to watch the people there. (By the way, I think watching people is my spiritual gift.) There were french fries flying, balls bouncing, and people everywhere! It was such a fun place to be.

3. McDonalds uses their resources to reach kids. Most of their marketing is geared toward making the kids desire to get to McDonald's as soon as possible. This is interesting because kids don't have the money to purchase the happy meal with the new Blue's Clues toy. Why go after the kids? I answered this earlier but it is important to restate it. Parents will go where the kids are happy. You want mom and dad to buy a Big Mac, make them bring their kids there!

4. McDonalds realizes that reaching kids will be messy. I was there on the tail end of the lunch shift. By the time we left, the restaurant was destroyed! It was a pretty disgusting place. I am also quite sure that there were plenty of things that were broken. Ronald McD. understands that he is better off having those kids to come in and make a mess, than to be without them.

You want a healthy, fun, growing church? Invest mega-dollars into the children and students. They will bring their families. They will make a mess. They will break stuff. However, I can assure you that you will never regret the decision to invest in the next generation!! Everyone else is going after kids/students full speed. The church must do the same!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd,

I couldn't have said it any better!

Thanks for all you do!

Becky Mills

Anonymous said...

Parents love their children and want to make them happy....simple concept but it seems so difficult to make others understand. You said it VERY well !! I am applauding :-)