Saturday, December 16, 2006

Pursuit of Happyness

One of the things that is vital to a healthy marriage is spending time alone. Don't misunderstand me, it is also vitally important that you spend time as a family and alone with each member of the family. I want my kids to grow up knowing that Joni is the most important person in my life. It is not that I don't love them, but she is my first priority. They are a very close second. Very, very close.

As a result, Joni and I try to go out on a date at least once a week. Obviously, this has been a little more difficult, since Anniston is not able to go out. Fortunately, God has put lots of people in our lives to stay with the kids. In fact, we couldn't thank these people enough. (We are especially grateful for Susan Ray & Renee and Brooke Stephens. They babysit for us on a weekly basis.) Since Joni does have to stay in with Anniston, it is even more important that we go out each week.

Last night, we went to see Pursuit of Happyness. It was a great movie. Very intense and emotional! I could identify with so many things in the movie. I believe that every man has a fear of not being able to provide for his family. I believe most men has a strong desire to be a good dad and husband, although we fail on many occasions. I believe most men have a huge dream in our hearts, even if only a few make the sacrifices to achieve them. You should go see this movie!!

Moral of this story: Guys do whatever it takes to spend one-on-one time with your wife. Just you and her. Let her know you love hanging out with her more than you love working. Let her know you love going places with her more than going to the football game. Let her know that she is more of a friend to you than your guy friends. The bottom line is...if you don't date her regularly, someone else may be in the future!

3 comments:

Jeff Bumgardner said...

I'm confused. Is it happyness, or happiness? I thought I knew before reading your blog. And yes...you're right. We need to date more. That Big Mac is calling my name. But no cheese...it cost too much. Just the burger will do, m'am.

Anonymous said...

TODD & JONI

WATCHING YOUR KIDS ARE A BLESSING TO BOTH BROOKE AND I. THEY ARE SO SWEET AND LOVABLE. YOU AND JONI DO SO MUCH FOR THE CROSSOVER STUDENTS IT IS THE LEAST THAT WE CAN DO. YOU HAVE MEANT A LOT TO OUR WHOLE FAMILY AND FOR THAT WE LOVE YOU. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

DOUG, RENEE, KACIE, BROOKE & TAYLOR

Todd said...

Well, ordinarily happiness is spelled with an "i" but go see the movie and you will understand why I spelled it the way that I did, Jeffrey!