Friday, December 01, 2006

Stupid Church Signs

One of the things I love to do is drive. I have enjoyed this since the very first time I sat in the driver's seat of a car. It is relaxing to me to be in my car, with the radio blaring, driving down the road.

One of the things that is interesting to me is to check out church signs, as I drive around north Shelby/Tipton counties. Here are a few that I have found:

C H _ _ C H. What's missing? U R

Our church is prayer conditioned.

Best vitamin for a Christian? B1

Body piercing saved my life.

Jesus Got'r Done.

Make your reservations for eternity. Smoking or non?

Come to church and get more smiles per gallon.

Jseus saves! (Shouldn't we at least be able to spell His name right?)

Are you serious? Why in the world would the church allow our first communication with the outside world be these things? I feel that non-Christians would find these things somewhat arrogant and down-right stupid. Nothing about those statements would make me want to attend those churches.

Fortunately, our church uses it sign to advertise upcoming messages and events. I am pretty sure that is what these type of signs were designed for. However, we don't always get it right. Here is something we had on our sign a couple of years ago that makes me laugh quite often:

Line 1: Who killed Jesus? (Ad for upcoming message.)
Line 2: Team Impact (Ad for upcoming event)

Have you seen any funny church signs? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments: