Thursday, September 28, 2006

I Can't Explain It!

There was a pretty popular gospel music song a few years ago by a guy named Kirk Franklin that contained these words: I can't explain, I can't obtain it. Jesus your love is so, it's so amazing. It gets me high up to the sky, and when I think about your goodness it makes me wanna stomp. Makes me clap my hands. Makes me wanna dance and stomp. My brother can't you see I got the victory. STOMP!!!

These lyrics certainly describe the last 24 hours of my life. I look forward to Wednesday nights so much because I get to spend them with the greatest middle school students in the world. Sure they have their share of issues and problems. In fact, that is why they come and it is my desire to help them live life the way Jesus intended. I am reminded each and every week why I do what I do.

I was a little discouraged before CrossOver began because there seemed to be no one here. I knew that God had given me something to say to them and I wanted them to be here to hear it. JR and I started a series last night called Life's Toughest Questions. In the first week of the 3 week series, we spoke about the reality of hell and how God gives us every opportunity to miss out on it.

When the invitation was given, there were hands going up all over the room indicating that these students had just received Christ. After these students spent some time with an adult learning more about their decision, I saw that 12 students had accepted Christ. Yes, I said 12!! These students entered the room on their way to hell and left on their way to Heaven!! I was so pumped up!!!

Now I know that there are some of you thinking "of course they got saved, he was preaching on hell". I did my best to communicate with each student individually. I did not want to sound like most preachers (who always seem sweaty and red in the face) and preach like I was glad that people will one day go there. It breaks my heart to think that even one person will have to spend eternity in that place. I think we did a good job of shooting straight with them about the reality of hell, without scaring their pants off. The real work begins now, just trying to follow-up on those students and getting them grounded.

In addition to what happened last night, I spent some time with Anniston this morning. She certainly has me wrapped around her little finger. She is the most precious baby on the planet!! (Sorry for the rest of you parents, I am a little biased!) I am pretty jacked up about the fact that I will get to finally hold her tomorrow. When I think about the last 24 hours...it makes me want to STOMP!!

Oh yeah, JR told me about this song that rocked my world yesterday. It is by a country group called Heartland. The name of the song is "I Held Her First". If you are a male and you have a little girl, I encourage you to check out this song. However, you might want to make sure you are somewhere by yourself. It will cause the tears to fall!!

No comments: