Friday, August 04, 2006

Betrayal

I am reading through the Gospels chronologically and I read something that reminded me so much of the way we are. I was reading today about the Last Supper and how all of the disciples asked Jesus if they would be the one to betray Him. It specifically says that Peter said he would never betray Jesus. Yet, he was one of the first. I was so reminded of how we so many times promise Jesus never to turn our back on Him. Yet time after time, we seem to fall back into the same trap. We get so caught up in our own little world that we simply ignore Him. We live our lives in such a way that it is as if we are saying "Jesus who?" We acknowledge Him so often with our lips but turn around and deny Him with our lifestyle.

Then we wonder why we are not as effective as we should be at school, home, and in the workplace. Imagine how horrible Peter must have felt when he heard the rooster crow. Sometimes I get so convicted about sin in my own life that it is almost as if I can hear the rooster crowing!!! The good news is that there is hope for us. If you read the book of Acts (I can't wait to get there!), you will see that God used Peter in an amazing way. He preached one day and 3000 people got saved. Thank God for 1 John 1:9. THERE IS HOPE!!

No comments: