Sunday, August 13, 2006

Elvis and A Lesson Learned

Yesterday, I ran in the Elvis Presley 5k race. It still seems to weird to me that I actually go out and run 3.1 miles on purpose. I ran with JR, Bill Dunn, and Jeremy Hayes. We got there early to register and walk around and look at all of the lunatics that were out in full force. We knew it would be interesting because the race is right in the middle of Elvis week. I saw white Elvis, black Elvis, fat Elvis, skinny Elvis, oriental Elvis, and even female Elvis. It was pretty funny!!

Before we ran, we noticed that the gates to Graceland were opened and they were allowing people to walk by Elvis' grave. We saw people carrying stuffed animals and flowers to leave at the graveside. We also saw a few Elvis freaks crying...yes, I said crying about Elvis' death. Get a life...it has been almost 30 years. I admit the guy was talented but nothing to cry over, especially 30 years later. Sorry I am done with my rant about crazy Elvis fans.

The race went ok. I was definately disappointed with the results. The 2nd mile kicked my butt!! (If you want to see the race results, you can check them out here: http://www.memphisrunners.com/uploads/mrtc/Elvis%205K.txt ). It kindof put me in a bad mood until I realized that it was just one race and 6 months ago, I couldn't have even run 0.0005k. There's always next time.

Now for the lesson learned, I finished the race and was pretty hot and disappointed. Usually, they have crackers and different types of food for the racers. No crackers at this race. Instead, they had hotdogs. So, here's the scenario, it's 8:30 am and I just finished running a race. What do I do? I decide I need to eat a hot dog (it was the gross red kind of hot dog) because I am starving. BAD IDEA!! I took 2 bites and immediately felt like I was going to hurl. I felt miserable for the next 20 minutes. I didn't throw up, but I almost feel like it would have been better if I had.

Moral of this story: Don't eat a hotdog at 8:30 am, after running a race and crying over a guy who has been dead for 30 years!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elis lives and hotdogs rule! I'm so proud of you for doing all this running. Thanks for your prayers and the early morning conversation about the difficulty. God answered the prayers in a big way. Later man!